Ever had one of those Weekends?

The wife and I had planned a three day event for this last weekend. I hate to admit it, but after being sick for two and a half months, it is going to take some time to get back where I was before this cellulitis thing started.
I brought the boat home last Monday to rebuild the water pump. I had ordered a kit for the rebuild and it showed up on Tuesday. Not a big deal, pulled it apart, went to pull the housing off, and had one heck of a problem, the housing wouldn’t pop off. Turned out that the housing had gotten hot and started to melt, seizing on the washers that sit between the housing and the impeller. No biggie, I called around and found the extra parts I needed in Gladstone 45 miles up the freeway. Got home, slapped it back together and proceeded to pack for our three-day relaxing fishing trip. I spent the majority of Friday getting my punch list complete so that when the wife got home we could take off without a hiccup.
We pulled into Newport right on schedule, dumped the boat, unhitched and locked the trailer, then drove my wife over to D dock so she could assist docking in the wind. I ran (I walked fast ok?)  back over to the loading dock, hopped in the boat, fired her up and let her warm up before running over to the slip. Once she was warm, I slipped the lines, hopped in and put her in reverse. The engine revved up, but didn’t go into gear… with a sick feeling in my gut, I shifted into forward, again, nothing.
I knew exactly what was wrong, I had not paid attention and the shifter linkage hadn’t lined up when I put it back together. I then ran (walked kind of fast…OK, I walked slow, I’m old…) back over to D dock to let my wife know we wouldn’t be sleeping in the boat that night. I then hooked up the trailer, backed down the ramp and handlined the boat back on the trailer. By then it was dark out, and I was at the end of my energy, and really p*ssed of at myself. When loading up that morning gettin ready to head over I thought to myself, (I’m always right, just don’t ask my wife!) no point in bringing my tool box, after all, I had just fixed the only thing that could have possibly gone wrong; right?
Well, no tools, nearing nine o’clock in the evening, in a small coastal town where the sidewalks are rolled up by seven, hotel and dinner became the priority.
We had a quick burger , and surfed the phone to find a cheap hotel. Found one for a hundred bucks, and headed over to get some rest. By this time, I am so cranky I could chew my own leg off! Got into our room, real small, but nice and clean. Sat on the bed, and I am surprised I didn’t get a broken spring stuck in my butt. Not going to let this ordeal get the best of me, I broke out a fifth of Brokentop bourbon to de-stress the evening. Jan (my wife) had two glasses, I had several . Both of us also use CPAP’s which are still in the boat, on the trailer, back at the Marina. Oh well, we will make it! At two AM, the wife wakes me up from a sound sleep to take the dog outside to pee. From that point on, I couldn’t get back to sleep. My back was killing me and the broken springs were sticking me in the back so attaining any real rest was out of the question. We rolled out of bed at daylight, went and grabbed some coffee ( You know coffee is the elixir of life) and a roll then headed to Walmart to buy some cheap socket wrenches so I could pull the bottom end off. I was so burned out, I grabbed some 1/2 inch drive sockets and a 3/8th ratchet. Of coarse, I didn’t figure that out until I got back to the boat. Soooo, hopped back in the truck, drove to the first auto part store I came to went in and found that they only had some of the sockets I needed. Bought what they had, (It would be the shits to go to the next place and find they didn’t have the ones from last place) then drove to the next parts place and got the last socket I needed.
Back at the boat, it took me about 15 minutes to drop the bottom end enough to get the shifter into the the splined socket, and bolt it back together fifty or sixty bucks later.
Hitched up the trailer dropped the boat in, dropped and locked the trailer again, ran the wife over to D dock, walked back to the loading dock, motored over to the slip, tied off without incident, crawled into bed, slept till dinner time, ate a wee bit, went back to bed, slept till nine the next morning. Nice bed, boat rocking in the breeze, priceless!
We played around in the bay the next day, but my energy level was still low so no fishing or crabbing . We did stop at the Mad Dog tavern for some lunch, then back to the slip for some more R&R. Todd and his wife (don’t know their last name) from Fishy Fish stopped by early evening for a look at the boat.
Another great nights sleep, rain tapping on the roof, just a nice evening with my wife. Next morning, our last day, we decided to bag it and come home. I’m retired, but my wife is not, and I hate to send her in to work feeling burned out.
I did walk over to CGRFISH’s boat on dock A. I haven’t seen a lot of Tolmans up close so it is nice to look at what others have done. His boat is nice! His finish puts mine to shame, but in truth I built to go fishing, although this year, that hasn’t materialized. My hat is off to his craftsmanship!

Bookmark the permalink.

About Kent Cannon

My passion is fishing and hunting as well as traveling throughout the Northwest and writing about those adventures. I was separated from my job a few years ago due to the still ongoing economic downturn. I had spent years working, focusing on things that really were not near and dear to my heart all the while scrambling and climbing to what I perceived as the top. I of course did not realize what I was doing, because I was caught up in the moment, focusing on what I thought was the American dream. Crashing and pushing ever forward like a Lemming headed for a cliff, oblivious the world around me. I was more than a little bitter over loosing my job; it was a good job as far as jobs go and I was making a lot of money so I could live according to the manner in which I wanted to be accustomed. In the process of trying to find another job in an unfavorable economic climate I found something that I had left behind many years ago. I found me! That is how and why I started this website, looking for myself and sharing things that I found along the way. Even though I am older now, suffering a little from arthritis and my hair is now somewhat graying I still have fire in my belly for the next adventure. The more that I seek out my next adventure, the more excited I become!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *